excuse me, but what do you do exactly?
1:1 development work
NESTA Pioneers, University of the Arts Investment Panel applicants, Various individual artists
Aims of work:
- Identifying how business needs and individual motivations, skills and drivers match up.
- Providing assistance in developing a plan of action to grow the business.
- Providing specific sales & marketing assistance as required
Types of results:
- Enabling entrepreneurs to channel their current skill set into their business development plan. Alongside this are decisions about the outsourcing of some areas of work.
- The visible results of this process include a change in the way entrepreneurs talk about their business growth – they commonly become more enthusiastic about the areas that previously they glossed over and are usually much better at explaining how their business will develop over the next 1-5 years and the steps they will be taking to make it happen.
Business Plan preparation or coaching
Aims of work:
- Writing a business plan with an organisation.
- Coaching a CEO or senior member of staff through the process of writing a business plan.
Types of Results:
- Succinct business plans with clear financials that connect current activities to future goals with a clear assessment of the markers of success, the risks for the organisation/products & services and means of mitigating these risks.
- Skills transfer to staff involved in developing the business plan.
- Involvement of whole organisation in business planning process with the goal of buy-in across the whole team.
Organisational Analysis & Development
Proboscis, Home, ETA
- Analysis of key skills, ways of working, motivations.
- Highlighting of gaps in provision or process of organisation and agreement of steps to take to fill these.
- Increased familiarity with & regular use of organisational analysis tools – both standard ones and those devised specifically for creative industries & arts organisations.
- Greater focus on key aims of an organisation.
- Better processes within an organisation.
- Greater self-sufficiency in development analysis and planning.
Richard Woodall Ltd, The Celtic Bakers
Aims of work:
- Identification of key sales growth areas
- Clarification of organisational structure to support sales growth Identification of appropriate marketing methods
- Increased sales with key clients
- Identification of new clients & success in selling to them
- Improved client relationships – more feedback on products/services
- Ideas for new products/services Improved marketing materials
In another post i'll detail out the work I do in the following areas:
- Researching & analysing supply chains
- Devising & Implementing supply chain development initiatives
- Speaking engagements & workshop provision